There are so many good books out there and I can feel this pressure to try to read all of them right now, either to myself or to my kids. Since this is impossible, I'm going to post lists of books here so I can find them later. This list is from Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's book For the Children's Sake:
Living Books:
Piligrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Tangelwood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis- I love these
Hans Christian Anderson and Grimm's Fairy Tales
Peter Rabbit & others by Beatrix Potter
Just so Stories by Rudyard Kipling
Laura Ingalls Wilder's books- we love these are almost done with the series
The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett- This was a favorite as a child and I'm looking forward to reading it again someday.
Abraham Lincoln by Ingrid and Edger D'Aulaire
The Wind in the Willow by Kenneth Grahame
Johnny Tremaine by Ester Forbes
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- I LOVE this book.
Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Oliver Twist and Hard Times by Charles Dickens
The Merchant of Venice and Twelfth Night by Shakesphere
Robert Frost's Poetry
The Oxford Book of English Verse
The Wheel on the School, the House of 60 Fathers and others by Meindert Dejong
The Heros of Asgard by A & E Keary
The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailler
The Sheldon Book of Verses
A Wrinkle in Time and others by Madeleine L'Engle
Ring Out Bow Bells by Cynthia Harnett
The Princess and the Goblin and others by George MacDonald
The Lord of the Rights by JRR Tolkien
Star of Light, Tanglewood Secrets, Treasure of the Snow and Rainbow Garden by Patricia St. John *these she gave special mention to as wonderful Christian stories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great resource, Jerusha! And I agree with many of her recommendations. (Have you read Beatrix Potter's "A Tale of Two Bad Mice"? It used to be one of may faaaavorites of hers, I think primarily because the girl-mouse is named Hunca-Munca. That always made me giggle.) I would suggest that perhaps there might be better entry points to Dickens than Oliver Twist--it's quite violent and gory near the end. I just read it last year, after having grown up on the sanitized musical version, and I was rather shocked. Fine for most adults, probably, but I'd be waiting a loooooooong time before introducing it even to older children. Just a word of caution. (Not that you were planning to start on Dickens tomorrow or anything. :)
okay. where have i been? i didn't even know about this blog of yours! yay! i look forward to enjoying to hearing your stories and being challenged to create my own with my kids. GREAT idea. and, thanks for the list of books! i get so discouraged going to the library and finding JUNK that i have to edit as i'm reading. (i guess i need to to be better at pre-reading books!).
oh- have you heard of "Leading Little Ones to God" by Schoolland? if so, any thoughts?
Post a Comment