Friday, September 26, 2008

Books We've Recently Read

Since I have a punch of kids I know I will probably read a book, like it and never remember the title the next time I try to find it. So, I hope to write some brief reviews to refresh my memory.

All of A Kind Family This is a chapter book that takes place turn of the century. It is about a devote Jewish family, living in NYC, that is made up of 5 girls. It has a strong emphasis on family and definitely has exposure to life in a traditional Jewish family. Karis really enjoyed this.

Emily Picture book by Michael Bedard, illustrated by Barbara Cooney (a favorite). The story is about a little girl who lives next door to Emily Dickenson, the reclusive poet of the 1800s. It is a charming story and a great introduction to the historical Emily Dickenson. The illustrations are fantastic

When I Was Young in the Mountains This a picture book that is about life in Appalachia. Great historical introduction to this period and area of our country.

Island Boy - As mentioned in my last post, I love this book. Wonderful story, exposes children to the reality of hardships in life and death. Wonderful illustrations.

The Baby Sister - Picture book by Tomie dePaula. He has written numerous books. My kids seem to really enjoy his writing and his illustrations. This one is about a new baby coming and is based on his own experiences as a child with his new sister coming. The copy I had included a picture of him with his sister as children in the back and my kids really liked that. Tomie dePaula is also a devote catholic, so he has a bunch of books on christian subjects.

Winnie The Pooh -A Classic chapter book. Karis really enjoyed this and I'm sure it will become a favorite through the years to come.

Betsy Tacy - A chapter book about two little girls and their friendship. We are reading this right now and Karis is really enjoying it.

Little House on the Prairie - We really love these.

No comments: